While Poisoning Prevention week is just a few days away in the third week of March we thought you might want to know a few things about it.
Poisoning Hotline number 1-800-222-1222
Livegreaterhealth thinks safety should come first as should be everybody’s thought. So livegreaterhealth.com has put together some things to help with the information that will keep our children and us safe.
The leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in children is medications or overdoses.
As you should know and realize in this time of year when we are more likely to be in our homes through winter weather. This gives our children more of a chance to get into medications or household products that might be dangerous to their health.
Just to make a point “poisoning can happen at any time” night-day, summer-winter, 12 am-12 pm or any time in between.
Children Safety First
As we talk about household products being dangerous the first thing we need to do to protect our children is to make sure they are locked up.
Have the poison help line number readily available by your phone and in your cell phone.
Make sure to store your medicines and all your household products out of reach from children or under lock an key.
Keep all medicines in original containers. Why? Because children can be easily fooled by products that look good like candy or other treats.
Many of our household products have chemicals that can be dangerous and even poisonous in them.
Doing household chores like mopping and cleaning can cause you to mix certain chemicals together which in turn can be very dangerous and toxic. Always use masks and gloves when handling and being around these chemicals because of the reactions that might occur or gases that come from them.
Always use products in well-ventilated areas with fans and vents inappropriate places.
Other Than Household Products
There are many different ways to be poisoned.
Other than getting poisoned by chemical and medicine we have…
Food poisoning – this poisoning comes from eating contaminated food. Learn how to keep this from happening.
Alcohol poisoning – a person with alcohol poisoning should have immediate medical attention.
Carbon monoxide poisoning – odorless and deadly caused by burning any type of fossil fuel.
Lead poisoning – is a type of poisoning of lead in the body or blood.
All poisoning can be serious and deadly so articles like this are very important.
Disposing of used Products
Proper product disposal is a very important issue today. Check here for the best info on proper disposal https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/HealthProfessionals
Always make sure to dispose of your old and unused medicine properly.
Don’t Wonder, Know What To Do!
Know what to do if a poisoning happens. First thing first if someone is poisoned grown up or child sickness comes on very soon so call 911 if still alert and talking call this number 1-800-222-1222 immediately for the nearest poison center.
Things to know…children will become sick quicker in a poisoning situation.
Call 911 if… Call poison control 1-800-222–1222 if…
Not alert Too much medicine has been taking
Breathing problems Accidentally swallowed chemical
Having seizures Inhaled gases or fumes
Unconscious Get poison in eyes or on skin
It all comes down to this an “oz of prevention is better than an oz of cure”.
So always try to prevent a poisoning, rather than trying to cure someone who has been poisoned. ‘ poisoning prevention ‘ most important
Do the things that we discussed earlier…
- Keep all medicines locked up
- Keep all poisonous products up and out of the way of younger children.
- Lock up all cleaning products
- Use safety latches on drawers and cabinets
These simple things are things you should do that will help prevent or reduce the number of poisonings that occur.
It is key to all poisoning encounters that happen.
Being poison-safe is the best and most important way for your house to be.
- Knowing and having the poison control number programmed and on or near all your phones.
- Know how to do CPR
- Always be calm and in control
- Stay focused
Doing this can save a life it could be a loved one
Why This Post?
Safety is the main reason we have written this post to save a life. Livegreaterhealth is a website focused on health and well-being. Our articles as you know are most informative with the best information that we can give.
This article is as serious as can be and can happen to anyone by accident or not knowing their surroundings at certain times. By putting these articles out to the public to read and put on their minds to stay aware keeps people thinking about them when around products where children are.
If you know anyone who might benefit from this information please let them know about it especially if they have children. Most poisonings are accidental so being alert and aware of things in our home can become a habit and second nature to us.
We are happy to be giving this information out and hope it makes us think about protecting ourselves and family. But we have to stop at that this is all we have on poisoning right now anything new that comes up with will be added as soon as we can.
We hope this information has inspired you to do more when it comes to being safe in your home. If there is something more that we can do to help that you think can improve this article let us know. Leave a comment below and tell us how you like this post or ask us a question and we will get back to you as soon as possible,